The Student Affairs New Professional

Monday, September 11, 2006

Tryin' to Get Paid-Post 1

Post 1 from Tryin' to Get Paid

My office is annoyed by: "While I'm Alone" Maze f/ Frankie Beverly

Okay, okay, I was supposed to start the blog a week ago. But...I've got a great excuse...Orientation. Yep, we had orientation during the Labor Day weekend, which meant I got to celebrate the efforts of hard-working Americans by...working. But, before I go any further, here's some background about this simple fool.

I just graduated from my Master's program in Higher Education (if that wasn't obvious to you) and I started working in late June. I'm at a private, liberal arts school in the upper Midwest. However, I'm in a major urban area, which is fine by me, because I'm a city guy. I can't stand driving several hours to get basic essentials, like a decent haircut and hear good old school music.

My school...yeah...it's rather unique. I went to a large, public, rural agricultural school, so I'm used to kids rolling down the main drag in souped-up F350 diesel pickups with Alan Jackson blasting from their windows. Also, the campus was pretty conservative, so any ideas of diversity were immediately greeted with scorn. Now, I'm at a place where kids are driving hybrid Civics (well, at least their parents are), listening to Ani DiFranco and sipping on free-trade Rwandan dark roast coffee. Plus, this place is pretty liberal (just think about it...I consider myself a left side of the aisle kind of a guy, and since I've been here, I'm seen as the conservative voice on campus). It's a dramatic shift, but I'm getting used to the environment, and I love it so far. Plus, the students here are just like any other late teenagers; they want to take the world, but are still trying to figure out how.

Well, I hope that was a great intro for you. But, I've got to get back to work. Until later...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home