The Student Affairs New Professional

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Tryin' to Get Paid-Post 3

Post 3 from Tryin' to Get Paid

My Mood: Nothing a vanilla latte can't solve...
My Music: Mint Condition "Whoa"

So, I've been a little late in writing this latest blog. I've been a little busy putting out little fires on my little campus. Forgive my cynisism here, work is starting to pick up in my office, and everyone's running around crazy. Not that there's anything bad about it, but when it rains, it pours. (Did any of that make sense to you? Didn't think so...that's how crazy it is...I've lost the ability to be sarcastic).

There are a few big things coming up on campus that have my attention divided several different directions. Our family festival is coming up, where all the families get to see our campus and see how activist we've (or we haven't) become since school started. From my orientation experience, the parents here have some lofty goals for us to help their kids reach, like being a better vegan, do more social work with African immigrants, even find ways that the college can cut down on usage of materials made with non-organic materials (wha?????). From all this, I had to call my dad and tell him about this. I vividly remember my parents dropping me off at school, and if somebody asked how they could help me, they would say "graduate this kid...on the cheap!" It's funny how perspectives are from different walks of life. When I was 18, I cared more about getting the girl across the hall to notice me with my lame engineering pick-up lines ("hey gorgeous, I noticed your periapsis...mind if we went out and I calculated the time of rotation?) These kids are quoting James Baldwin and collecting used goods and selling them to benefit Habitat for Humanity.

Despite all of this, I have to keep reminding myself...they're still teenagers. No matter how much "War and Peace" they read, no matter how many times they've travelled the globe, they still have developmental issues. I still find myself reading journals and pulling out my Student Development in College to refresh myself. It's a challenge, with late night organization meetings and advising major conferences students want to plan (check that...want ME to plan), but I wouldn't be doing this if I didn't love it...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home