The Student Affairs New Professional

Saturday, April 14, 2007

Learning To Fly - Post 21

Quote of the Day:
"You know you're too big of a fan when...
Before getting up to get something, you always try to summon it first. Accio TV remote!"
- Mugglenet.com


It's my birthday today. I've been 25 for an hour and 6 minutes. And I've already celebrated my birthday in my very own fashion....had some vanilla ice cream, played a Harry Potter Trivia Game online and read through some new articles on Mugglenet.com. Yes, I am obsessed...haha. And I have tried to summon things before..."Accio laptop." And whenever I see mistletoe now, I think, "Careful, it's infested with nargles" and then I giggle to myself. Yeah, people probably thought I was crazy walking around Wal-Mart in December.
Hey, you gotta stay young when you want to work with college students for the rest of your life.
But back to the fact that it's my birthday (did you know that Harry Potter's birthday is on July 31st, 1980...that means he's actually two years older than me...crazy, huh? and hermione was born on Sept. 19, 1979...which means she's older than my sister)...

Two of my RAs stopped by earlier today because they weren't sure if it was my birthday today (well, then yesterday) or tomorrow (now today)...and they wanted to be the first to say happy birthday. One of them came back about 10 minutes after midnight to wish me a happy birthday. SO CUTE! I love my staff!!!
The RHA Executive Board had a transition dinner on Friday and they got me a cake and sang to me. It was so sweet!!! Is anyone still surprised that I love my students and spend way too much time with them? They're just awesome.

Sometimes I worry though...because I know some of my supervisors think I'm too close with my students. I really don't think I am. I spend a lot of time with them...my RAs know they can knock on my door whenever (if it is for help with dealing with an incident, a random questions, something personal or just to say hi), the RHA Exec Boards knows they can IM me even if it's past midnight (only if I'm awake and online obviously...but usually I am)...but I keep that professional line; I mean, if they're breaking the rules (e.g. if they drink underage...which we all know happens, let's just be honest), they can't talk about it in front of me and I better not find out; they know I'm not going to the bar with them; they know I sometimes have to use my official "boss" or "advisor" voice and put my foot down; and I know there's a lot of things I can't talk to them about; but that doesn't mean we can't have a personal connection and have fun together, does it?

Sometimes I think, if I had more friends in the area or a partner or a family, it'd be different. But the way things are, my choice is between hanging out in my apartment by myself (which generally means either watching TV or reading a book or maybe being on the phone with a friend or IMing someone) or hanging out with my students. No wonder, my students often win...or at least I never mind going to a dinner or doing an extra staff development activity or something like that. As nice as it is being in the apartment by yourself, it also gets boring quickly. And especially on your birthday, you kind of want to be around people who like you...so I'm definitely not going to miss the NRHH Inductions tomorrow (or actually later today). It's not like I have anything else to do, right?

You know, birthdays really aren't as exciting anymore as they used to be. No more birthday cake that my mom made; no more sleepover parties with my three best friends; no more surprises (gifts are now "just" money...not that money is a bad thing...it's greatly appreciated...but somehow the surprise and excitement is gone).
I doesn't help that this year, I'm not feeling well at all. My throat hurts and I probably have a fever (don't feel like checking, so I'm just going to assume). I've been lying on my couch all day watching TV and playing around on my laptop. I cough; I sneeze; it's not fun. :(
If it hadn't been for my RHA Exec Board and my RAs, I'd say this birthday is quite dreadful...but they managed to save it and give me at least some happy birthday memories. And then again, it's only 1 AM and I still have another 11 hours to make some happy birthday memories.

I'll let you know how that goes....

1 Comments:

  • Wow, thrilled to know that I'm not the only one wondering if there are nargles in the mistletoe and cracking up laughing. And I'm older than Harry Potter, but it seems like I can definitely relate to you a lot better than your blog compadres that are currently looking for a job. I think they're so young--am I that old?!? But I wonder how true the generational gaps are....I found myself giving advice on how to shop for healthy groceries in a store--because they hadn't before--is that weird? Or were they being over-zealous on their ponderings of how to handle being an adult? What do you think? Is the younger generation REALLY that incapable because their parents were helicopter parents and took care of them, or were older ones like me just given too much freedom and independence so we take on those challenges with little pre-pondering... It is something I have given some thought in recent days...have a Happy Birthday!!!

    By Blogger Jill, at 8:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home