The Student Affairs New Professional

Sunday, April 15, 2007

Tryin' to Get Paid-Post 13

Post 13 from Tryin' to Get Paid

It has been a long time since I've posted, and for a good excuse, I offer...life. Things have been pretty heavy since I last wrote, and I've been immersed in a lot of campus politics. Since I do campus activities and multicultural services, I've been pulled in two directions, trying to split my time evenly so that I don't short the other arena I hold responsibilities in. Add on top of that a less than sympathetic staff I work with daily, I'm really stressed out and tired. Oh, by the way, it's the end of the semester, and all my student organizations are trying to finish up their end of the year programs. They all want food and other things for their events (so my purchasing card is almost maxed out) and their advisor to attend (I'm barely standing upright). I'm doing my best to keep my head up and be positive, but it is becoming a challenge every day. Today, I got some good advice from my supervisor, cautioning me to take time for myself, so I'm trying to get my work done early, head home, and get some much needed rest.

On top of this...yesterday's scene at Virginia Tech was sobering and shocking at the same time. When I first heard of the shooting, I initially thought it was an isolated incident. But when I was listening to the radio in my office, and the report of multiple casualties came in, I had to stop working and pray. My mind started racing, thinking of my institution's security procedures (or lack thereof) and what to do in an emergency procedures, but then I had to slow my mind down, and focused on my fellow student affairs colleagues at VT and their entire community, and send them my thoughts and prayers. I spent the rest of the day talking to students and colleagues, trying to make sense of the madness. And, I hoped that the rest of the world wouldn't look at VT as a scene of carnage, but as a great institution of higher education with a well-regarded reputation of serving students and educating our future leaders, that will heal together and grow from Monday's events.

For my colleagues at Virginia Tech...stay strong Hokies. You've got a East Coast guy (and long-time VT football fan) thinking of you. If you need anything, just shout; you'll have a whole profession of caring folks ready to lend you a hand, including this guy simply tryin' to get paid.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home