The Student Affairs New Professional

Friday, November 10, 2006

Tryin' to Get Paid-Post 5

Post 5 from Tryin' to Get Paid

My Mood: It's a cold Friday...good excuse to get a coffee
My Music: Rather, it's NPR this day...I feel like getting educated

Well, I don't know about you, but I'm so glad the election is over. I did my civic duty and voted (sadly, I didn't win local county water commissioner #4...it doesn't help when I'm the only one who voted for me), but I'm glad all the damn negative ads are off the air and radio. If I heard another "so-and-so is too liberal for our state" and "so-and-so is far right for what we need", I would have openly screamed and drove to Canada just to skip the election. But, I'm glad things calmed down on campus. Students were TOO excited about the election; and since an overwhelming majority of students on campus are Democrats, they wanted as many votes as possible. In fact, the morning before the election, I was walking into work and encountered a crowd of folks standing around holding signs. As I stopped and said "what the hell?", a kid grabbed my arm and shoved me in front of...the Democratic candidate for Governor (who was the Attorney General at the time). It was kind of cool to meet him, and he seemed like a nice guy (the ads made him seem like a blood thirsty kitten-hating demon). It's sad he didn't win, because he was open about lowering tuition across state colleges and pushing for higher Pell Grant awards.

Election night was funny across campus...because you could hear the screams of "yes!!!" when a Democrat was projected the winner. If you were a Republican on my campus, you probably spent the night holed up in your room, either sobbing into a pillow or didn't say anything to anybody. I watched some returns in our student lounge, and people were estatic that our local county attorney whipped her Republican opponent for US Senate. Let's just say, the day after the elections, you could tell there was a "hang-over" on campus. A lot of folks walked with a lighter step and had smiles on their face. It was as if their tuition bill was lowered, or they could graduate without doing any actual work. Ah, the joys of working on a very political campus...

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home