The Student Affairs New Professional

Thursday, November 23, 2006

Tryin' to Get Paid-Post 6

Post 6 from Tryin' to Get Paid

Mood: Stuffed...absolutely stuffed
My F.A. Premier League standings: Arsenal 4th Place (12 games played, 22 points)

Well, it has been an extremely hectic two weeks since I last blogged, and for that I sincerely apoligize. Students were trying to finish their student organization budgets, and since I'm their advisor, I had to review every single request and give suggestions. Some ranged from miniscule changes ("You might want to change the font so student government might actually read your request") to major switches ("I don't think they're gonna go for a $2000 request to feed half of campus with Famous Dave's ribs...in fact, half of the students here are vegetarians!"). Then, after budgets were done, there were a variety of projects that needed to get completed. So, I haven't been the best blogger out there, but now that I've gotten some free time I can reflect on the semester thus far.

First off, I'm thankful for having a wonderful job. Now, I'm not just saying that because I'm gainfully employed and earn a paycheck, but I have a job with the ability and privledge to work with young growing minds and guide them in their difficult decisions they have to make. It's still an absolute wonder to work with these students and make their college experiences much better. It's a joy to come into work every day, and I'm blessed to have it.

Second, I'm thankful for the colleagues I work with. My unit is very small, and we have to "wear a lot of hats", but they challenge me in a positive way to think of different solutions and situations. My supervisor is extremely helpful, and he has been a great guide for me.

Third, I'm thankful for the students. Yeah, they sometimes make absurd demands (rename the campus lecture hall after Spike Lee or something) and protest world events I never knew about ("Solidarity for the teachers in Oaxaca!"), but they're a joy to work with. And, these kids will go on, graduate, and work for the greater good, going into areas of the world neglected by common thought and provide others with opportunity. Plus, they've gotten me into trying new things (curry goat for dinner) and experience new forms of entertainment (F.A. Premier League soccer...Arsenal's my team...Theirry Henry's my new favorite player).

Finally, I'm really thankful for...down time. Yeah, when I'm not at work, I don't have homework anymore. And that's when my digital cable comes into play. And boy, is it a blessing to have. I can watch obscure channels and record my favorites on my DVR. It's a great release to come home from a long day at work and relax. That means, if I come home and feel like I've worked hard, then I've done my job, and that I'm still in love with what I do. I don't dread going to work every morning, and I don't wait for the clock to reach 5:00 to head home. I still love what I do, and I still firmly believe it's what I want to spend the rest of my life doing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home