The Student Affairs New Professional

Monday, December 11, 2006

Learning to Fly - Post 10

Quote of the Day:
"If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals."
- Sirius Black, Harry Potter

Wow, it's been a while. I apologize for not posting in so long. I really don't even have a good excuse because the last few weeks haven't been that busy...

You know those days, when the most stressful time of the semester is finally over, and you just have a few little things to accomplish, but you're absolutely nothing done...yeah, that's what it's been like.
We're closing the buildings at the end of the week. I like my residents, but to be honest I can't wait for all of them to be gone...

I'm spending winter break here...I'm probably going to visit a friend for a couple of days, may meet up with some other people...nothing big though. Christmas Eve (which is when Austrians celebrate Christmas) I'm just planning on lighting a fire in the fireplace of the Living Room of my residence hall, reading a good book (probably "How the Garcia Girls Lost Their Accent" by Julia Alvarez...since that's the new book for our book club...by the way, I got to pick it and I'm really really excited), and eating some ice cream. Everyone who finds out that I'm spending the holidays here by myself is making such a big deal out of it...but honestly, I couldn't imagine a better Christmas. This semester has been hectic enough and I really just want some peace and quiet!!!

I'm already sick of Christmas music...and all the Christmas commercials on TV. Don't they realize that not everyone celebrates Christmas??? I can't imagine what it must be like to grow up in a family that doesn't celebrate Christmas and constantly be bombarded with Christmas songs in every store you go to, Christmas shows and movies on TV, Christmas decoration in the streets, and and and.
I'm having the hardest time trying to explain to my staff that they should say "Happy Holidays" and instead of playing "Secret Santa," do something like "Secret Snowflake." They just don't seem to get it...
It's so frustrating sometimes.

Other than that, there's not much going on here. I have to turn in my letter of intent for next year very soon (in January). So I've been thinking about it A LOT! I think I want to work with a different learning community. No, let's be honest, I don't just "think" I want to work there...I've become "obsessed" with the idea of working there. I just think it'd be the perfect fit for me. It's the "Leadership" Learning Community and I'm all about student leadership. I mean, that's what I love about the job. I like interacting with my first-year students, but the best part of the job with my student leaders, from RAs to RHA Exec Board members to Hall Council members. They are the students that make this job worth having. And of course, not every student in the Leadership Community would be that king of leader...but it's a start. And I have all these great ideas of what I could do for programs...
I'm trying not to get too emotionally attached to the community yet. It'd be too devastating if I don't get it. But it's hard...I just get so emotional when it comes to this job. Uh uh, not cool (that's the newest saying of the RHA Delegation that went to the regional conference....it's really funny...mmm, I guess you had to be there).

Alright, it's time for bed.
For those of you out there, who are taking classes: Good Luck with Finals!
For everyone else, good luck for the end of the semester!!! :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home