The Student Affairs New Professional

Monday, December 04, 2006

Tryin' to Get Paid-Post 7

Post 7 from Tryin' to Get Paid

Mood: Absolutely bitter cold...almost to the point of torturous
Premiership Standings: Arsenal 3rd Place (15 games, 25 points)
Music: D'Angelo "Spanish Joint"

You know, there are times I feel taking this job was a mistake. Rather, it might have been a punishment from a higher power for some past wrongdoings. It's not the work that I incur, or the people I deal with...it's the weather. I should have known when the job was in the Upper Midwest, it might entail some cold weather conditions. Let's just say that I'm not a cold kind of person, and the local coffee/hot chocolate/tea market has benefitted from my generosity. Some local coffeehouses know me by name (so does the local Mediterrean cafe...I apparently hold the record for most chicken gyros eaten in one setting).

Enough about food and weather conditions...I'm glad the semester is ending soon. That means I'll get a little break of sorts. No more 10:00 p.m. meetings for a while, no more getting contracts signed one day before a performance, no more meetings about scheduling meetings about future meetings. Now, I'm not saying that I'm looking to make a jail break outta my office and I dread coming to work, but I fear that burnout is trying to set in. I've been moving at about 100 miles an hour since I got here, and I think it's catching up with me in some ways. I'm more tired coming into the office, I've been a little more irritable, and I've been spending more of my time buying coffee to perk me up (as I noted before). I've tried combatting this with more sleep at home and exercise, but I think I need a break.

I just think this is the final swing of the semester, and the students here are tired too. I think a fog as swept over campus and made us all drowsy and looking forward to winter break in a couple of weeks. Or maybe it's all this damn cold weather...

2 Comments:

  • I feel your pain, the high where i live today was like 20 with a wind chill of 8....8! I know that tired feeling and I let it get the best of me, don't get to that point. Get off campus more and be social, it's easy to get sucked into campus life and forget the most important thing, you.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:19 PM  

  • I feel your pain, the high where i live today was like 20 with a wind chill of 8....8! I know that tired feeling and I let it get the best of me, don't get to that point. Get off campus more and be social, it's easy to get sucked into campus life and forget the most important thing, you.

    By Blogger livetolearn, at 6:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home