The Student Affairs New Professional

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Tryin' to Get Paid-Post 8

Post 8 from Tryin' to Get Paid

Mood: Upbeat for such a gloomy day...
Music: John Legend "Heaven"
Status: Arsenal in 6th (6!) place (16 fixtures played, 26 points)

I have to tell you, before I get to the work stuff, that I'm glad I've had a student affairs training, especially in the residence halls, because it prepares you for the unexpected. I fondly remember the nights I went on rounds, making sure things were fine in my building, and rolling up on who knows what, and having to use my training to approach the situation. My training kicked in Friday night...on public transit nonetheless. Lemme give you the situation...

I went out to downtown Friday night to catch a basketball game. The game was great, and I left feeling pretty good. I'm in the middle of a major US city at night, with the streets buzzin' in action, and I decide to catch the light rail train to the Mall for some late night shopping. While I'm on the train, a crew of 5 folks stumble (literally) on the train. Apparently, one of the women in the group got promoted, and took a college-esque approach to celebrate by imbibing as many spirits within a 2 hour time frame. She's pretty happy to be promoted, but her language around children might get her demoted. So, out of all the seats available on the train, she sits next to...me. And, she uses my shoulder as a head rest as she blabs on about her job and the wedding she went to last week where...I'll leave the conversation about that in the train. But, as she's guessing my name, she asks an intriguing proposition involving the removal of clothing. As nice as it sounded for a nanosecond, my training kicked in.

BAM!!! You must use the developmental force to overcome such urges and help this woman!!

So, I cooly tell her, "Listen, I wouldn't want you to lose that nice promotion and scare these children, so I'm sorry." I continue to tell her that it wouldn't be morally prudent in front of the riding public (Kohlberg, anyone?) and her actions might set the notion of the working woman back several years (Josselson's Women's Identity...by a stretch). So, she calms down, and the rest of the ride is in peace. A crisis had been averted, thanks to development theory.

As for work, it's not that exciting as the train. Finals are going on this week and next, so students are running around trying to get all their work done. I kinda laugh because that was me a couple of years ago, but then I remember I have work to do, contracts to sign, and programs to plan...by next week. So, I'm running around also. But, student organization meetings have ended for the semester, so my evenings are a little calmer. It's been exciting to go to these meetings from the get-go and see the students develop, especially the leadership of several groups. The organizations are finalizing big plans for next semester, and they're really excited. I'm happy for them, even if it means more work for me. I don't mind, unless it involves taking the light rail late at night to get things done...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home