The Student Affairs New Professional

Friday, May 25, 2007

Learning To Fly - Post 27

Quote of the Day:
"The sudden disappointment of a hope leaves a scar which the ultimate fulfillment of that hope never entirely removes."
- Thomas Hardy


So I am really annoyed right now. Not just annoyed, but I don't think I can say how I really feel on this blog...

Here's what happened:
I am supposed to move this weekend. I planned it into my schedule; decided not to do anything for the long weekend and instead use it to get move and unpack and get totally settled in, so that I wouldn't have to worry about anything afterwards.
So I picked up my key on Thursday because I meant to go over to the suite and check it out before actually moving...but then things came up and I just didn't get around to it. And I figured, why be paranoid. How about just trusting that people are actually going to do their job and do what they promised to do? I mean, why wouldn't the suite be ready for me since this has all been set up and was a done real?

So tonight, I got back from work and was pretty tired (since I stayed up late last night...went to see Pirates). I decided to take a nap first...after all, moving was gonna be easier anyway once it got cooler out. And as we all know, I'm a night-person.
I own this huge bookshelf, so I pack that in my car. I debated for a second whether I should squeeze other things in there. But then I decided to just go over there and check out the suite first.

And guess what...
the suite is NOT ready. There is no bed in it (because the staff member who lived there before had her own bed). The paint is peeling everywhere...it was supposed to be painted but clearly hadn't been.

I'm so mad, I don't even know what to say. And you'd think that the coordinator, who checked out the staff member (only two days ago, actually...even though that staff member had moved out a couple weeks ago), would have said something. Maybe even gotten the Housing Manager to get his act together...or at least give me a heads up. But no, why would anyone care about me and my happiness in this department?

I know I'm making a bigger deal out of this then it is. But it just feels like this is just another one in a long line of disappointments that I've had to deal with at this school and with this department.

And now I don't know what to do....
Should I just move and accept the fact that the apartment will never be painted and fixed up; and that I'd have to sleep on the couch?
Or should I wait? But then, how long would I have to wait? And I had this weekend planned to move and next week Orientation starts and I won't want to deal with moving anymore. And all my stuff is already in boxes!
This is SO frustrating!

I want to like this department; I've really tried to be patient and supportive and to try and see things from their perspective. But whenever something goes well (like when I got the living learning community I wanted for next year), ten other things go wrong. And I spend more time worrying about what they'll do to me next then focusing on my job.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home