The Student Affairs New Professional

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Post 15-Tryin' to Get Paid

Post 15 from Tryin' to Get Paid

I'm sitting here in my office, and it's eerily quiet. Yesterday was the last day of finals, and most students have already left for home, summer jobs, internships, and vacations to exotic locations (which I'm extremely jealous of). I finished my summer planning calendar, so I have all my tasks planned out for the summer. I know, I know, how ambitious of myself, but if I don't plan a calendar for all the things I need to get done, it'll be opening next August and I'll be rushing to get all my tasks done. I was also able to plan in vacation time (i.e. sitting on couch, watching baseball on TV, walks around the block to get fresh air) and when I'll be heading to summer conferences.

Commencement is on Saturday, and I'm really excited, for it's my first graduation at my new institution. From what I've heard, the ceremonies are vastly different than when I graduated last year. Our school has Scottish ties, so instead of "pomp and circumstance" there will be a bagpiper leading the procession, followed by faculty and students. And, being the liberal "bucking the system" school, graduations gowns are optional. I've been told by staff to be prepared to see students crossing the stage in shorts, t-shirt, and sandals, and being proud to do so. At first, I thought it would be silly to take part in a big event in casual clothing, but the more I thought about this place and it's environment, the more I could understand why so many seniors aren't buying the cap and gown and going for the Che Guevara t-shirt for commencement wear. It's part of the aura of attending this school, and I'm even thinking about attending the ceremony in a t-shirt and shorts...but for professionalism's sake, I'll go somewhat formal.

Well, I guess I should probably start reflecting (ugh...I still don't like that word) about my first year as a professional. Let's see what happened my first year:

-Involved in my first orientation
-Staffed my first protest (and subsequent incounter with semi-clothed protesting student and obviously irritated member of Board of Trustees)
-Used student development theory to diffuse situation involving drunk woman...on a Friday night...on the Light Rail Train coming back from a basketball game in downtown
-Handled my first major campus crisis incident involving several of the student organizations I advised
-Worked on task force to program non-alcoholic events on campus
-Staffed first annual founding celebration (and played bouncer to obviously inebriated students wanting more alcohol)
-Took part in intense discussions involving race and ethnicity with students, staff, and faculty
-Got involved in really heated talks with my colleagues about race and its impact on our work

I'm sure there's more things that happened this year that I just couldn't think about off the top of my head right now. When I get to thinking about what else I did, I'll let ya'll know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home