The Student Affairs New Professional

Sunday, June 03, 2007

Learning To Fly - Post 29

Quote of the Day:
"As much money and life as you could want! The two things most human beings would choose above all - the trouble is, humans do have a knack of choosing precisely those things that are worst for them."
- Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter & the Sorcerer's Stone


Orientation sessions have started and I'm back to my workaholic-self. On Orientation days, I get to the office at 7:15 AM to make sure we're all set for the day. I usually work through lunch and then stay late...but I also get to take some breaks and just hang out with my office staff, so it really isn't all that bad. The morning's hectic because that's when we help with check-ins and when we get the most phone calls. The afternoon's are much more relaxed. My office staff has been bored out of their mind the past few days. After weeks of stuffing binders and doing bulletin boards, the only things we now do is get packets with nametags, invoices, etc. ready for students and family members the day before each session and answering the phone and our e-mail....definitely not enough to keep six office staff members occupied. And it speaks for my staff that they really don't enjoy being paid for not doing anything. So I've been trying to come up with some new things for them to do, but I haven't been all that successful.
When I get home, I am generally too exhausted to do anything. I pass out on the couch and then wake-up halfway through the night when it's too late to do anything but go to bed, especially since I have to be up early again the next day.

I've started re-reading the Harry Potter books...a little earlier than I planned to. But I figured, if I get done early, I'll just re-read the last one twice. Talking about Harry Potter: I was reading Sorcerer's Stone last night and came across that quote (see Quote of the Day) about choosing precisely the things that are worst for us. It just kind of hit me. Do I do that? Do I choose what's worst for me?
I definitely choose things that are tons of work. I choose a learning community that will keep me extremely busy. If I could choose my committee assignment, I'd choose those that are the most amount of work...not because of the amount of work they are, but because they are what I'm interested in. Similarly, I didn't pick my learning community because I knew it'd keep me busy but because it was what I am personally interested in. But no matter why I choose them, there's definitely a lot of work involved in all of them. So is me choosing things that keep me busy the worst thing for me?
Not necessarily. I enjoy my work, especially those aspects that add to the regular workload. They make me happy and what's more important? Then, again, I don't have much of a personal life because of that. But would I, if I wasn't at work all the time? Would things really be different or would I just spend more time sitting in my apartment re-reading books?
I want to have a family one day; I definitely want to have children one day. Some of my friends have expressed concern about me being a workaholic and wanting to raise children. But I really believe things will be different once I have a family. If I had a children, I'd have a reason to leave work on time; I'd have something else to do, something else I care about. Right now, work's my main concern and that's why I put all my energy into it. But that doesn't mean I can't change once my priorities change, right?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home