The Student Affairs New Professional

Friday, June 01, 2007

Tryin' to Get Paid-Post 17

Post 17 from Tryin' to Get Paid

Music: Wynton Marsalis "From The Plantation to The Penitentiary"
Mood: Hoping it doesn't thunderstorm...oops, there goes the thunder

Well, another week of summer work has ended, and my weekend is just starting. I love the summer hours, where offices close around 12:30 in the afternoon on Friday. However, offices open at 7:45 in the morning every day, so I've got to get up extra early in the morning. See, the college kids have it so easy...they can sleep in, miss class, party all night (and all morning, depending on the student), and feel carefree from responsibility. Just wait until they get jobs...muahahaha!!!!

On a different note, this past week has been celebrations for staff members leaving. Aside from the sadness that some of the graduate students are leaving, I've eaten a lot. If you've read my posts, I live to eat, not eat to live. However, I'm really stuffing myself, almost to the point of making myself sick. But, it's still good to see colleagues moving on to bigger things (even if it's at a school literally a mile down the same street). Also, we had a going-away shindig for my supervisor. Before I got here, there was some major restructuring, and his position was phased out. He had the opportunity to advance within the institution, but was not considered for a position. It was really hard towards the end of the year knowing that there was a chance he wouldn't be back, but he's moving on to bigger opportunities (I would say more, but I don't want to jinx his chances). As the year progressed, we moved from colleagues to being good friends. There were a lot of difficult discussions and decisions he had to make, and I stood by him, knowing that he was a commsumate student affairs professional with the students in mind. He also was the catalyst for helping me change my thinking while advising students, and was a valuable asset during my first year as a professional. It's tough to see good friends go, but I remember a quote Morgan Freeman said in The Shawshank Redemption, "some birds aren't meant to be caged; their feathers are just too bright."

Since I'm getting a little sentimental, and I don't want to sob (again) at my desk, I'll stop here for today. Have a restful summer!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home