The Student Affairs New Professional

Sunday, December 24, 2006

Tryin' to Get Paid-Post 9

Post 9 from Tryin' to Get Paid

Mood: One more day to Christmas!!!
Music: Chuck Brown "Merry Christmas Baby"

Well, I finally escaped from work (actually, I filed my vacation paperwork and gave my handshakes to colleagues, wishing them a joyous holiday season) and I'm home. Back to crab cakes and Dunkin' Donuts. Plus, I got to see my nephew that I haven't seen since he was 1 month old. Now, he's 8 months old, has some teeth, and is babbling a lot. It's really cute, and I get a great smile out of it. It's finally good to see him in person; when work begins to get to me, I look at his pictures that I have in my office and it keeps me grounded.

Now I'm finally realizing that I've survived my first semester working full-time. To tell you the truth, I've really enjoyed it (plus the steady paycheck...hence my name). I will admit, the long nights at student organization meetings weren't as fun as advertised, and getting phone calls late at night when I'm on call (the kitchen door won't lock...what do we do?) aren't the most enjoyable thing on my mind when the phone rings. However, I've really enjoyed the conversations I've had with my students. I can honestly say that I've expanded my mind on many fronts just by talking to students and seeing the world through my eyes. I now understand why they have protested on having non-hormonal milk in the cafeteria, or expanding financial aid's reach to lower-income students, and even the dissention of building a new athletic facility to replace a 90-year old building that is falling down (not literally...I hope). At first, I felt a little uneasy about coming to a place that had a massive reputation of being trendy and insightful of thought. However, once I got past my shock-and-awe that I was in such an environment, my mind has expanded to great lengths, and it really helps me in developing their minds and judgements when I can meet them where they're thinking and see the world the way they do.

As a professional, I don't know if I'm still learning the job or if I'm finally in the groove of things. There are tasks I can roll full steam on, then there's tasks I'm completely dumbfounded on where to start. Working with students of color is a strong suit for me, but looking at artist contracts and dealing with agents is still a struggle. It's hard to keep in mind that some things are new to me, and every situation I handle is one that I can learn and reflect (ugh, that "r" word) upon. I think I spend too much time what my colleagues think, but I know that I have a few that understand my newness to the field and the challenges that I face. But, being the kind of person I am, I will keep moving, because nothing will stop me from being the best professional I can be.

Well, before I jam to Run DMC's "Christmas in Hollis", I hope your holidays are relaxing, enjoyable, and blessed. And, if you have any young children around, be sure to not let them use your finger as a chew toy...it really hurts, trust me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home