The Student Affairs New Professional

Sunday, June 10, 2007

Learning To Fly - Post 30

Quote of the Day:
"Every man dies - Not every man really lives."
- William Ross Wallace


So I've basically spent all day today sitting on my couch reading Harry Potter and watching TV in between. But hey, it's been a long week and I was in desperate need of some peace, quiet and relaxation.

On Friday, I actually left campus...shocker, right? I went to a friend's house, spent the night, and on Saturday, we participated in this Community Service project. We helped paint a house. It was pretty fun. I got to climb on the tall ladder...actually, there wasn't enough people who felt comfortable doing it, so I was pretty busy. The ladders weren't all that stable, so climbing up and down didn't feel all that safe; but once you were up there, you had a beautiful view. It was like when I was little and climbed on trees. ;) I love climbing.

Maybe I should do stuff like that more often. I mean, I've been trying to find some new hobbies. But then, Community Service sometimes feels a little too much what I do at work anyway...and I'll probably be organizing some Community Service events for my living learning community next year. And I've kind of been looking for something much different.

My favorite hobby at the moment is reading. I know, that's kind of a solitary activity and doesn't really help you make new friends...but then again, reading has always been my favorite thing to do. And right now, with all the Harry Potter hype going on....

I've also seriously started preparing some stuff for next year for my building and that's been keeping me busy in my free time.
Below is just a short list of work-related things I want to get done this summer:
1) Prepare a Residential Curriculum for my living learning community
2) Come up with a Leadership Portfolio program that my residents could participate in
3) Developing a Pre- and Post-Test for residents participating in my living learning community
4) Help prepare the training for Hall Council Advisors
5) Develop a section for our staff manual that talks about Hall Council Advising

And there's probably a couple other things I'm forgetting right now. I'm definitely not going to be bored in the next few weeks. No wonder I'm too tired at night and on weekends to do anything else.

You know, the one thing I've always wanted to do, is write a novel. I love writing. I tried to write my first novel when I was still in elementary school. The story was pretty horrible...haha...but it was a start. And at my undergrad, one of my favorite courses were the creative writing ones I took. One of my faculty members really encouraged me to keep writing. But I just haven't really had the time lately. And I'm having a hard time coming up with a storyline. It's like I'm using my brain too much during the day at work and when I get home, my brain's tired and doesn't want to work. So it'll take a while till my award-winning novel will come out. ;)

Alright, it's time to get ready for bed. I'm definitely still not a fan of this getting-up-early thing. Why do our offices have to open at 7:30 AM in the summer? "Uh uh, not cool!" (Quote from Bring It On)

1 Comments:

  • Pretty cool blog you've got here. Thanx for it. I like such topics and anything that is connected to this matter. I definitely want to read more on that blog soon.

    Best wishes
    Steave Markson

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home