The Student Affairs New Professional

Thursday, June 14, 2007

Learning To Fly - Post 31

Quote of the Day:
"You stand in the line just to hit a new low
You're faking a smile with the coffee to go
You tell me your life's been way offline
You're falling to pieces everytime
And I don't need no carryin' on."

- Bad Day, Daniel Powter


I was talking to one of my friends, who is thinking about leaving his current position at the end of the next academic year (after having been there for only two years). He works in a really small office and just recently got promoted, so he's been a little worried about telling them because they'll probably be mad/sad that he's leaving so soon.

That got me thinking. I don't think anyone would really care if I left. They'd probably not be excited if I handed in my resignation today or some time during the academic year...but as long as it was at the end of an academic year and I gave enough notice, nobody would care. I mean, there may be a few people who'd miss me...not so many in ResLife though, probably more students or professionals in other departments that I've interacted with.
I guess, that's all part of working in a big ResLife office. We have a lot of turnover. You don't expect people to stay in these positions too long.
But it is a little sad to know that you can so easily be replaced. That you're really not more than just another name on the staff roster.

Sometimes I wish I could just hand in a fake resignation to see people's reactions. Because I think that'd really give me a clue what people think about me. Not the fake, politically correct answer!
I wish I could leave for a couple weeks; let them realize a lot of the things that I've been doing - unnoticed and unappreciated - and then come back and maybe get a little bit more recognition. No, recognition is the wrong word...I don't need recognition (not that I'd say no to it either, but you know what I mean)...just more of an acknowledgment that I'm really trying to do a good job and some respect for my personal needs and wishes (hmmmm, maybe like a certain committee assignment). I mean, shouldn't committee assignments based on what's good for the office and also what's good for the individual staff members instead of who's friend with whom? Crazy concept, I know. ;)

You know, I don't think I'm irreplacable. I know there's a lot of other Student Affairs Professionals, who could do the job I'm doing...who are doing very similar jobs at other institutions. Hey, there may even be some out there who'd do a better job. But I'm trying and I just want to be respected for that.
I'm always the first one to volunteer when the department needs something. Interestingly enough, that's totally okay when they really need me (like to help out with coordinator interviews) but it's not so okay when it's something that I just really enjoy doing (like helping with another training session about Hall Councils) or when it's something that doesn't directly benefit the department (like getting involved regionally or nationally). You know, if you use and abuse me for everything you need, at least let me do the things I want to do. Is that too much to ask for???

Hey, on a good note though: I've been working on some stuff for my living learning community for next year and these things are slowly starting to take shape and I'm pretty excited about them. Some staff members (of course those outside of ResLife; or the ones that are leaving) have also given me some really positive feedback. This one staff member, who is really awesome, said, "I'm impressed." That meant so much to me! You know, it's really not that hard to make me happy. Haha.

Okay, maybe I should try and get some things done before lunch.
I hope you're all enjoying your summer! :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home