The Student Affairs New Professional

Saturday, June 23, 2007

Tryin' to Get Paid-Post 19

Post 19 from Tryin' to Get Paid

Mood: Just bummin' out during a beautiful weekend
Music: Rihanna "Umbrella"

Another week of work is over...thank the calendar that said so. Projects are starting to get underway that need to be completed by the end of the summer, so play time is over and back to work (so to speak). I am the coordinator of Transfer Orientation at my institution, so I've been looking thru assessments and past years' programs, so I can craft a program that meets the needs of these incoming students. It's been pretty straight forward, but I kind of feel left out of the Freshman Orientation programming team, because Transfer Orientation has been seen as a kinda "secondary" program. A lot of resources and time go towards the freshman program, simply because there's more of them (around 500 entering this year, compared to 22 transfers). My program gets left out of discussion, but hopefully through my work more people will see the benefits of my efforts and see the importance of supporting these students.

About my eccentricities I talked about last post...I actually got my part-time job. Instead of working at UPS, I'll be washing cars for a rental car company. Sounds sooo exciting, doesn't it? Well, it's a little more flexible than UPS and pays a little more per hour. Plus, I love cleaning cars (my dad always said, "If you take care of the car, the car will take care of you"), so why not get paid to do that? When I told my colleagues, some of them looked at me like I was crazy, once again. Right about now, I could care less what they say. I'm gonna do what I like (unless it's...umm...what's that phrase...illegal and unethical), and unless they're name is gonna be on my car note, they can keep their comments and looks to themselves. Also, last night, while many my age were out at the bar scene or with their families, or who knows what, I spent my Friday evening at a WNBA game. I'll admit, I'm a basketball fan; I love the game very much, so I splurged for the $10 ticket and watched a good game. I will also say I was a little nervous, being I was the only adult male sitting alone in a section of teenage girls, knowing that some security guard or parent thought I was at the game for some illegal purpose. I made sure to not look in their general direction and focus on the game, which was pretty good.

Well, as I am supposed to wrap this blog up, I decided to keep going a little further, especially next week. Remember some of my posts about being "a bean in a bowl of rice"? Well, on Tuesday, I'll be at the Social Justice Training Institute. Several of my colleagues had urged me to attend, and I was accepted to go this year. I've been doing all the homework (yes, I said homework) and taking this conference seriously (not like I've done that to any other training, but you know what I mean). When I get free time, I'll post on how the Institute is going and how my brief vacation in Western Massachusetts is going.

Okay, I'm off to be myself...I might wash my car, or go exercise before I finish my homework. Ya'll take care...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home