The Student Affairs New Professional

Sunday, July 08, 2007

Learning To Fly - Post 33

Quote of the Day:
"Yeah, take it away, Ernie. It's going to be a bumpy ride."
- Shrunken Head in the movie: Harry Potter & the Prisoner of Azkaban


Orientation ended; we moved our office back (we have a temporary location that we use in the summer, since we need more space and its in a more central location); I updated and handed in the Summer Orientation Iffce Manager Manual; and now I'm enjoying my 10-day vacation.

I've taken off on a little roadtrip. Right now, I'm staying with a friend from grad school and then I'll be visiting some friends from undergrad. And then, way too soon, I'll be heading back to my current institution just in time for ResLife Training to start.

It's really nice to be away. :) Being the workaholic that I am I brought some books to read with me (well, I want to at least read the book for the class I'm teaching next semester) but other than that, I'm really trying to take a break. I miss those days when I got the entire summer off. I know, having a 10-month position, I had the possibility to take that summer off, so I really can't complain. Maybe next year, I'll take the entire summer off and actually go back home to Austria for once. My sister is getting married next summer (not till the end of the summer though), so I would be able to help her get ready for the wedding. That'd be fun!

On my little roadtrip, I've had a lot of time to think. I'm probably going to stay at my current institution for another two years, especially now that I have the living learning community I wanted and am changing a lot in the community and trying a lot of new things. But after that, I really want to move to a different area. I grew up near a big lake, the Bodensee or Lake of Constance (part of it is in Austria, part of it in Germany and part of it in Switzerland), and I miss being near such a big body of water. There's nothing like sitting at a shore or beach and staring out over the water and daydreaming. And I really wouldn't mind living in a warmer climate. I love skiing (hey, I am from Austria after all), but I could always go home over winter break and go skiing then. And I don't enjoy the cold and snow when I have to walk across campus.
But again, I won't be searching for a while (even though I may start looking selectively...I mean, it never hurts, right?), so I really shouldn't spend that much time thinking about it. I have a tendency to focus too much on the future and forget to live in the present.

Okay, I'm going to head out, but I'll add another post or two to wrap up this blog once I've gotten back from my roadtrip.

1 Comments:

  • I'm the say way...I always look at other jobs out there, you never know what will catch your eye...even if you're not in a search mode.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home